Sexual Misconduct Lawyer St. Francois County, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in St. Francois County, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in St. Francois County or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense lawyer who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we recognize that every situation has multiple facets, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial difficulties that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in St. Francois County, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in St. Francois County or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own attorney. At Combs Law Group, we fully understand that there is always more than one side of the story and we realize the emotional and financial burden of defending a sexual misconduct charge in St. Francois County, MO.
You have no time to waste. Our staff of well-informed sexual misconduct attorneys in St. Francois County, MO is devoted to protecting your rights and aggressively fighting for your future. We have the necessary experience and resources at our disposal to get you the best possible outcome in your case.
Call us immediately at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online. Our St. Francois County, MO sex crimes attorney can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-obligation case review to discuss the specifics of your case and offer expert legal guidance.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct takes place when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. Allegations of sexual misconduct in St. Francois County and throughout Missouri can lead to three distinct charges, which include:
Sexual Misconduct in the First Degree
According to the provisions outlined in Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, a person may face charges of first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, sexual misconduct in the first degree is a class B misdemeanor, which carries with it up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. In the case of a second conviction, it elevates to a class A misdemeanor, which could mean up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
Sexual Misconduct in the Second Degree
Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095, sexual misconduct in the second degree is defined as soliciting or requesting another person to engage in sexual conduct knowing that it is likely to cause affront or alarm. This is a class C misdemeanor, with a punishment of up to 15 days in jail and a fine of no more than $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This stands as the most serious of sexual misconduct offenses. Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, a person is charged with sexual misconduct involving a child when they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
For a first offense, this constitutes a class E felony, which can result in a maximum prison sentence of up to 4 years and a fine of up to $10,000. In the case of a repeat offender, it escalates to a class D felony, carrying a potential punishment of up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There is no mandatory minimum sentencing for any of these charges in St. Francois County, MO. Additional sentencing options may also include probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Also, if you are convicted of a sex crime in St. Francois County, MO, you will likely be required to register as a sex offender. The length of time you have to remain on the registry will depend on your age and the nature of the crime. We will work hard to dismiss or reduce your charges to ones that don’t require sex offender registry. Moreover, our skilled St. Francois County, MO lawyers may be able to help petition for your removal under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
Give Combs Law Group a call right away if you are facing any of the above allegations in St. Francois County, MO or fill out our online contact form to talk to one of our lawyers about your case.
Your Rights and the Sexual Misconduct Legal Process in St. Francois County, MO
If you’re accused of sexual misconduct in St. Francois County or anywhere else in Missouri, it is imperative to be aware of your rights, including the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Also, you have the right to a fair trial under the Sixth Amendment, due process rights under the 14th Amendment, and protection against self-incrimination as stipulated in the Fifth Amendment.
Our St. Francois County, MO sexual misconduct defense attorneys can help walk you through the legal process, which can be particularly lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Combs Law Group St. Francois County, MO sexual misconduct attorney will guide you through each stage, making sure that your rights are upheld and that you get the best possible legal representation and outcome. Call us right now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
How a St. Francois County, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even allegations of sexual misconduct have the potential to drastically impact your life in St. Francois County, MO. However, with the right legal representation, you can navigate the legal complexities and strive for a positive resolution. Consulting with a skilled St. Francois County, MO criminal defense lawyer from Combs Law Group, particularly one who specializes in sexual misconduct cases, is your best course of action to protect your rights and build a strong defense. Our St. Francois County, MO lawyers will:
- Listen to your side of the story
- Conduct a full investigation into your case
- Review the evidence and examine how it was obtained
- Determine if your rights were violated
- Examine witness reliability
- Search for any inconsistencies in the accuser’s account
- Negotiate with prosecutors to have your charges reduced or even dismissed
- Provide a resolute defense if necessary, challenging the jury to determine whether the prosecution has substantiated your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our skilled legal team ensures that the residents of St. Francois County, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. In addition to sexual misconduct defense in St. Francois County, MO, our lawyers are experienced in many forms of law, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a St. Francois County, MO Sexual Misconduct Case
It is truly unfortunate in our society that if you’re facing allegations of sexual misconduct, many will instantly and automatically judge you to be entirely at fault. The St. Francois County, MO attorneys at Combs Law Group get this unfortunate difficulty, and we fight to limit the impact these allegations can have on you, your job, and your family. After all, our entire legal system operates under the premise that people are innocent until proven guilty.
When confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in St. Francois County or any other location within Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense attorney. Call us right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Here’s why it’s so critical to at least speak to one of our lawyers who specialize in this area of the law:
- Legal Expertise: Sexual misconduct cases are legally intricate, no matter the jurisdiction in St. Francois County or Missouri, and the consequences of a conviction can be severe – either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the aforementioned circumstances. Our tenacious defense attorneys in St. Francois County, MO possess the knowledge and experience to navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Protection of Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group sexual misconduct attorney in St. Francois County, MO will wholeheartedly champion the preservation of your constitutional rights throughout the legal process. This includes ensuring that any evidence obtained against you is admissible and that your rights against self-incrimination are respected.
- Building a Strong Defense: Our St. Francois County, MO criminal defense lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, amass pertinent evidence, and build a robust and impermeable defense strategy. There is always more than one side of the story, and, depending on the specifics of your St. Francois County, MO case, we may question the credibility of your accuser or challenge the evidence presented by the prosecutor.
- Negotiating Expertise: In some situations, your St. Francois County, MO Combs Law lawyer may be able to negotiate a plea bargain that reduces the charges or penalties you face, if not lead to a complete dismissal of the case. We always leave the ultimate decision up to you, but all of our legal advice is based on what we genuinely believe to be in your best interest.
- Litigation Proficiency: In the event that your case proceeds to trial in St. Francois County or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct attorney will articulately present your case, cross-examine witnesses, and work to secure a favorable verdict.
Contact a St. Francois County, MO Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Right Away | Combs Law Group
No matter the nature or severity of the allegations against you in St. Francois County, MO, Combs Law Group was founded on helping good people caught in bad situations. We believe that you deserve an expert and committed professional defense team when you are facing criminal charges in St. Francois County or anywhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in St. Francois County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.