Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Smithville, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Smithville, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Smithville or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense lawyer who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we recognize that every scenario has multiple facets, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial difficulties that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Smithville, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Smithville or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own attorney. At Combs Law Group, we know that there is always more than one side of the story and we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sexual misconduct charge in Smithville, MO.
Time is of the essence. Our staff of well-informed lawyers specializing in sexual misconduct in Smithville, MO is wholeheartedly committed to protecting your rights and mounting a vigorous defense on your behalf. With our substantial experience and abundant resources, we are fully equipped to pursue the most favorable resolution for your case.
Call us immediately at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Our Smithville, MO sex crimes attorney can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-strings-attached consultation to speak about the specifics of your case and offer expert legal advice.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct occurs when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. There are three specific charges that a person accused of sexual misconduct can face in Smithville and elsewhere in Missouri, including:
First-Degree Sexual Misconduct
Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, an individual can be charged with first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, sexual misconduct in the first degree is a class B misdemeanor, punishable by a potential jail term of up to 6 months and a fine not exceeding $1,000. For a second conviction, it is a class A misdemeanor, which could mean up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
Second-Degree Sexual Misconduct
Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095, sexual misconduct in the second degree is defined as soliciting or requesting another person to engage in sexual conduct knowing that it is likely to cause affront or alarm. This is a class C misdemeanor, with a punishment of up to 15 days in jail and a fine of no more than $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This stands as the most serious of sexual misconduct offenses. According to Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, a person is charged with sexual misconduct involving a child when they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
It is a class E felony for a first-time offender, which carries with it up to 4 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. For a repeat offender, it is a class D felony, the punishment for which is up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There are no mandatory minimum sentencing requirements for any of these charges in Smithville, MO. Along with imprisonment, alternative sentencing options may be considered, including probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Additionally, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Smithville, MO, you may be required to register as a sex offender. The duration of your registration requirement hinges on factors such as your age and the nature of the offense. Our proficient Smithville, MO lawyers are committed to pursuing charge dismissal or reduction to offenses that do not mandate sex offender registration. Moreover, we can explore the possibility of petitioning for your removal from the registry under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
If you are facing any of the above charges in Smithville, MO, call Combs Law Group right now at (314) 900-HELP or fill out our online contact form to speak with one of our attorneys about your case.
Your Rights and the Smithville, MO Sexual Misconduct Legal Process
If you’re accused of sexual misconduct in Smithville or any other part of Missouri, it is crucial to understand your rights, which encompass the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Also, you have the right to a fair trial in accordance with the Sixth Amendment, due process rights under the 14th Amendment, and protection from self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment.
Our Smithville, MO sexual misconduct defense lawyers can help walk you through the legal process, which can be especially lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Combs Law Group Smithville, MO sexual misconduct attorney will accompany you through each stage, making sure that your rights are upheld and that you get the best possible legal representation and outcome. Call us right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
How a Smithville, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even allegations of sexual misconduct have the potential to drastically impact your life in Smithville, MO. But, with the right legal representation, you can navigate the legal challenges and strive for a positive resolution. Consulting with a skilled Smithville, MO criminal defense lawyer from Combs Law Group, particularly one who specializes in sexual misconduct cases, is your best course of action to safeguard your rights and construct a strong defense. Our Smithville, MO attorneys will:
- Actively listen to your perspective
- Initiate a comprehensive inquiry into the details of your case
- Review the evidence and examine how it was obtained
- Assess the potential violations of your rights
- Examine witness reliability
- Search for any inconsistencies in the accuser’s account
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Provide a resolute defense if necessary, challenging the jury to determine whether the prosecution has substantiated your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our skilled legal team ensures that the citizens of Smithville, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. Along with sexual misconduct defense in Smithville, MO, our lawyers are experienced in numerous types of cases, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Smithville, MO Sexual Misconduct Case
It is truly unfortunate in our society that if you’re facing allegations of sexual misconduct, many will instantly and automatically judge you to be entirely at fault. The Smithville, MO lawyers at Combs Law Group get this unfortunate difficulty, and we fight to limit the impact these allegations can have on you, your career, and your family. After all, our entire legal system operates under the premise that people are innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Smithville or any other location within Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense attorney. Call us now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Here’s why it’s so important to at least speak to one of our attorneys who specialize in this area of the law:
- Legal Expertise: Cases involving sexual misconduct are inherently complex from a legal standpoint, irrespective of the jurisdiction within Smithville or Missouri. The potential ramifications of a conviction can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, contingent on the aforementioned circumstances. Our determined defense lawyers in Smithville, MO possess the profound legal knowledge and experience necessary to adeptly navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Protection of Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group sexual misconduct attorney in Smithville, MO will work tirelessly to safeguard your constitutional rights at every stage of the legal proceedings. This includes ensuring that any evidence obtained against you adheres to admissibility standards and that your entitlement to refrain from self-incrimination is duly upheld.
- Constructing a Strong Defense: Our Smithville, MO criminal defense lawyer will diligently scrutinize the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, gather evidence, and build a robust and impermeable defense strategy. It is imperative to keep in mind that in any Smithville, MO case, numerous aspects exist to the narrative, and contingent upon the particulars of your situation, we may cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser or contest the evidence introduced by the prosecution.
- Negotiation Skills: In some situations, your Smithville, MO Combs Law lawyer possesses the adeptness to engage in negotiations aimed at securing a plea arrangement that mitigates the charges or penalties you are confronted with, and in some instances, even leading to complete dismissal of the case. We always leave the ultimate decision up to you, but all of our legal advice is based on what we genuinely believe to be in your best interest.
- Litigation Proficiency: If your case goes to trial in Smithville or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct lawyer will articulately present your case, cross-examine witnesses, and steadfastly labor to secure a favorable outcome.
Connect With a Smithville, MO Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Now | Combs Law Group
Irrespective of the character or gravity of the allegations against you in Smithville, MO, Combs Law Group was established with the mission of providing support to good individuals caught in bad situations. We firmly maintain that you are entitled to a proficient and unwavering team of defense specialists as you confront criminal charges, be it in Smithville or elsewhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in Smithville, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.