Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Poplar Bluff, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Poplar Bluff, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Poplar Bluff or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense lawyer who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we recognize that every situation has multiple aspects, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial hardships that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Poplar Bluff, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Poplar Bluff or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own attorney. At Combs Law Group, we know that there is always more than one side of the story and we recognize the emotional and financial hardship of defending a sexual misconduct charge in Poplar Bluff, MO.
You have no time to waste. Our team of well-informed sexual misconduct attorneys in Poplar Bluff, MO is devoted to safeguarding your rights and aggressively fighting for your future. We have the necessary experience and resources at our disposal to get you the best possible outcome in your case.
Call us as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Our Poplar Bluff, MO sex crimes lawyer can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-obligation case review to speak about the specifics of your case and offer expert legal guidance.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct occurs when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. Accusations of sexual misconduct in Poplar Bluff and throughout Missouri can lead to three specific charges, which include:
Sexual Misconduct in the First Degree
According to the provisions outlined in Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, a person may face charges of first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, first-degree sexual misconduct is a class B misdemeanor, punishable by a potential jail term of up to 6 months and a fine not exceeding $1,000. For a second conviction, it is a class A misdemeanor, which may entail imprisonment for up to one year and a fine of up to $2,000.
Sexual Misconduct in the Second Degree
Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095, sexual misconduct in the second degree is defined as soliciting or requesting another individual to engage in sexual conduct knowing that it is likely to cause affront or alarm. This is a class C misdemeanor, with a punishment of up to 15 days in jail and a fine of no more than $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This is by far the most serious of sexual misconduct violations. Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, an individual is charged with sexual misconduct involving a child when they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
It is a class E felony for a first-time offender, which carries with it up to 4 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. For a repeat offender, it is a class D felony, the punishment for which is up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There is no mandatory minimum sentencing for any of these charges in Poplar Bluff, MO. Additional sentencing options may also include probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Also, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Poplar Bluff, MO, you will likely be required to register as a sex offender. The length of time you have to remain on the registry will depend on your age and the nature of the crime. We will work hard to dismiss or reduce your charges to ones that don’t require sex offender registry. Additionally, our skilled Poplar Bluff, MO lawyers may be able to help petition for your removal under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
Give Combs Law Group a call right away if you are facing any of the above allegations in Poplar Bluff, MO or contact us online to talk to one of our lawyers about your case.
Your Rights and the Poplar Bluff, MO Sexual Misconduct Legal Process
If you find yourself facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Poplar Bluff or any other part of Missouri, it is crucial to understand your rights, including the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Furthermore, you are entitled to a fair trial in accordance with the Sixth Amendment, due process under the 14th Amendment, and protection against self-incrimination as stipulated in the Fifth Amendment.
Our sexual misconduct defense attorneys in Poplar Bluff, MO can help walk you through the legal process, which can be particularly lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Combs Law Group Poplar Bluff, MO sexual misconduct attorney will accompany you through each stage, making sure that your rights are upheld and that you get the best possible legal representation and outcome. Give us a call now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
How a Poplar Bluff, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even accusations of sexual misconduct can be life-altering in Poplar Bluff, MO. However, with the assistance of proficient legal representation, you can navigate the legal challenges and work toward a favorable outcome. Consulting with a skilled Poplar Bluff, MO criminal defense lawyer from Combs Law Group, especially one who specializes in sexual misconduct cases, is your best course of action to safeguard your rights and build a strong defense. Our Poplar Bluff, MO lawyers will:
- Listen to your side of the story
- Initiate a comprehensive inquiry into the details of your case
- Scrutinize the evidence and the methods used to gather it
- Assess the potential violations of your rights
- Evaluate the reliability of witnesses
- Look for inconsistencies in the accuser’s story
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Provide a resolute defense if necessary, challenging the jury to determine whether the prosecution has substantiated your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our experienced legal team makes sure that the residents of Poplar Bluff, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. Along with sexual misconduct defense in Poplar Bluff, MO, our lawyers are experienced in many types of cases, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Poplar Bluff, MO Sexual Misconduct Case
It is truly unfortunate in our society that if you’re facing allegations of sexual misconduct, many will instantly and automatically judge you to be 100 percent at fault. The Poplar Bluff, MO lawyers at Combs Law Group get this unfortunate difficulty, and we fight to limit the impact these allegations can have on you, your job, and your family. After all, our entire legal system operates under the premise that people are innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Poplar Bluff or elsewhere throughout Missouri, it’s critical to consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Give us a call today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online. Here’s why it’s so critical to at least speak to one of our lawyers who specialize in this area of the law:
- Legal Proficiency: Cases involving sexual misconduct are inherently complex from a legal standpoint, irrespective of the jurisdiction within Poplar Bluff or Missouri. The potential ramifications of a conviction can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, contingent on the aforementioned circumstances. Our determined defense attorneys in Poplar Bluff, MO possess the profound legal knowledge and experience necessary to adeptly navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Protection of Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group sexual misconduct attorney in Poplar Bluff, MO will work tirelessly to safeguard your constitutional rights throughout the legal process. This encompasses the assurance that any evidence obtained against you adheres to admissibility standards and that your entitlement to refrain from self-incrimination is duly upheld.
- Constructing a Strong Defense: Our Poplar Bluff, MO criminal defense lawyer will diligently scrutinize the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, gather evidence, and forge an unwavering, impenetrable defense strategy. It is imperative to bear in mind that in any Poplar Bluff, MO case, numerous facets exist to the narrative, and contingent upon the particulars of your scenario, we may cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser or contest the evidence introduced by the prosecution.
- Negotiation Skills: In some situations, your Poplar Bluff, MO Combs Law lawyer possesses the adeptness to engage in negotiations aimed at securing a plea arrangement that mitigates the charges or penalties you are confronted with, and in some instances, even leading to complete dismissal of the case. We always leave the ultimate decision up to you, but all of our legal advice is based on what we genuinely believe to be in your best interest.
- Trial Advocacy: If your case goes to trial in Poplar Bluff, MO, our sexual misconduct attorney will present your case persuasively, deftly cross-examine witnesses, and steadfastly labor to secure a favorable outcome.
Contact a Poplar Bluff, MO Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Now | Combs Law Group
No matter the nature or severity of the allegations against you in Poplar Bluff, MO, Combs Law Group was founded on helping good people caught in bad situations. We believe that you deserve an expert and committed professional defense team when you are facing criminal charges in Poplar Bluff or anywhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in Poplar Bluff, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free case review.