Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Lafayette, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Lafayette, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Lafayette or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense attorney who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we fully comprehend that every scenario has multiple facets, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial difficulties that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Lafayette, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Lafayette or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own lawyer. At Combs Law Group, we know that there is always more than one side of the story and we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sexual misconduct charge in Lafayette, MO.
Time is of the essence. Our staff of knowledgeable lawyers specializing in sexual misconduct in Lafayette, MO is wholeheartedly devoted to safeguarding your rights and mounting a vigorous defense on your behalf. With our substantial experience and abundant network, we are fully equipped to pursue the most favorable resolution for your case.
Give us a call immediately at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online. Our Lafayette, MO sex crimes attorney can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-strings-attached consultation to discuss the specifics of your case and offer expert legal advice.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct takes place when an individual engages in conduct that involves exposing themselves in a manner and in circumstances likely to provoke shock, offense, or alarm, or when individuals engage in sexual intercourse in public. There are three specific charges that a person accused of sexual misconduct can face in Lafayette and elsewhere in Missouri, including:
Sexual Misconduct in the First Degree
Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, an individual can be charged with first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, first-degree sexual misconduct is a class B misdemeanor, punishable by a potential jail term of up to 6 months and a fine not exceeding $1,000. In the case of a second conviction, it elevates to a class A misdemeanor, which may entail imprisonment for up to one year and a fine of up to $2,000.
Sexual Misconduct in the Second Degree
Second-degree sexual misconduct is described under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095. It involves the act of soliciting or requesting another individual to participate in sexual conduct, knowing that such actions are likely to provoke affront or alarm. This offense is classified as a class C misdemeanor and carries a penalty of up to 15 days of jail time and a fine not exceeding $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This stands as the most serious of sexual misconduct offenses. According to Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, an individual commits sexual misconduct involving a child if they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
For a first offense, this constitutes a class E felony, which can result in a maximum prison sentence of up to 4 years and a fine of up to $10,000. In the case of a repeat offender, it escalates to a class D felony, carrying a potential punishment of up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There are no mandatory minimum sentencing requirements for any of these charges in Lafayette, MO. Along with jail time, alternative sentencing options may be considered, including probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Furthermore, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Lafayette, MO, you may be obligated to register as a sex offender. The duration of your registration requirement hinges on factors such as your age and the nature of the offense. Our proficient Lafayette, MO attorneys are committed to pursuing charge dismissal or reduction to offenses that do not mandate sex offender registration. Moreover, we can explore the possibility of petitioning for your removal from the registry under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
Give Combs Law Group a call right away if you are facing any of the above allegations in Lafayette, MO or contact us online to talk to one of our lawyers about your case.
Your Rights and the Lafayette, MO Sexual Misconduct Legal Process
If you find yourself facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Lafayette or any other part of Missouri, it is imperative to be aware of your rights, including the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Additionally, you have the right to a fair trial under the Sixth Amendment, due process rights under the 14th Amendment, and protection from self-incrimination as stipulated in the Fifth Amendment.
Our sexual misconduct defense lawyers in Lafayette, MO can help walk you through the legal process, which can be especially lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Lafayette, MO sexual misconduct lawyer from Combs Law Group will guide you through every step, ensuring the protection of your rights and striving for the most advantageous legal representation and result. Call us now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
How a Lafayette, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even accusations of sexual misconduct have the potential to drastically impact your life in Lafayette, MO. But, with the right legal representation, you can effectively navigate the legal challenges and strive for a positive resolution. Consulting with a skilled Lafayette, MO criminal defense lawyer from Combs Law Group, particularly one who specializes in sexual misconduct cases, is your best course of action to protect your rights and build a strong defense. Our Lafayette, MO lawyers will:
- Actively listen to your perspective
- Initiate a comprehensive inquiry into the details of your case
- Review the evidence and the methods used to gather it
- Determine if your rights were violated
- Examine witness reliability
- Search for any inconsistencies in the accuser’s account
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Provide a resolute defense if necessary, challenging the jury to determine whether the prosecution has substantiated your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our skilled legal team makes sure that the citizens of Lafayette, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. Along with sexual misconduct defense in Lafayette, MO, our attorneys are experienced in many forms of law, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Lafayette, MO Sexual Misconduct Case
It is truly unfortunate in our society that if you are facing allegations of sexual misconduct, many will instantly and automatically judge you to be entirely at fault. The Lafayette, MO attorneys at Combs Law Group get it, and we fight to limit the impact these charges can have on you, your job, and your family. After all, our entire legal system operates under the premise that individuals are innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Lafayette or elsewhere throughout Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense attorney. Call us right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Here’s why it’s so important to at least speak to one of our lawyers who specialize in this area of the law:
- Legal Proficiency: Sexual misconduct cases are legally intricate, no matter the jurisdiction in Lafayette or Missouri, and the consequences of a conviction can be severe – either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the aforementioned circumstances. Our tenacious defense attorneys in Lafayette, MO have the knowledge and experience to navigate the complexities of the legal system.
- Protection of Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group sexual misconduct attorney in Lafayette, MO will work tirelessly to safeguard your constitutional rights throughout the legal process. This encompasses the assurance that any evidence obtained against you is admissible and that your rights against self-incrimination are respected.
- Constructing a Strong Defense: Our Lafayette, MO criminal defense lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, amass pertinent evidence, and forge an unwavering, impenetrable defense strategy. There is always more than one side of the story, and, depending on the specifics of your Lafayette, MO case, we may question the credibility of your accuser or challenge the evidence presented by the prosecutor.
- Negotiation Skills: In certain scenarios, your Lafayette, MO Combs Law lawyer possesses the adeptness to engage in negotiations aimed at securing a plea arrangement that mitigates the charges or penalties you are confronted with, and in some instances, even leading to complete dismissal of the case. It is paramount to underscore that the ultimate decision always rests with you; nonetheless, all our legal counsel is grounded in our genuine belief of what serves your best interests.
- Trial Advocacy: If your case goes to trial in Lafayette or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct attorney will present your case persuasively, deftly cross-examine witnesses, and steadfastly labor to secure a favorable verdict.
Contact a Sexual Misconduct Lawyer in Lafayette, MO Right Away | Combs Law Group
No matter the nature or severity of the allegations against you in Lafayette, MO, Combs Law Group was founded on helping good people in bad situations. We believe that you deserve an expert and committed professional defense team when you are facing criminal charges in Lafayette or anywhere in Missouri.
Give Combs Law Group’s Lafayette, MO sexual misconduct defense lawyer a call now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation.