Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Howard County, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Howard County, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Howard County or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense lawyer who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we fully comprehend that every scenario has multiple aspects, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial difficulties that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Howard County, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Howard County or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own lawyer. At Combs Law Group, we fully understand that there is always more than one side of the story and we realize the emotional and financial burden of defending a sexual misconduct charge in Howard County, MO.
Time is of the essence. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys specializing in sexual misconduct in Howard County, MO is wholeheartedly committed to safeguarding your rights and mounting a vigorous defense on your behalf. With our substantial experience and abundant network, we are fully equipped to pursue the most favorable resolution for your case.
Give us a call as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online. Our Howard County, MO sex crimes attorney can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the specifics of your case and offer expert legal advice.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct occurs when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. Accusations of sexual misconduct in Howard County and throughout Missouri can lead to three specific charges, which include:
Sexual Misconduct in the First Degree
According to the provisions outlined in Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, a person may face charges of first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, sexual misconduct in the first degree is a class B misdemeanor, which carries with it up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. In the case of a second conviction, it elevates to a class A misdemeanor, which could mean up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
Second-Degree Sexual Misconduct
Second-degree sexual misconduct is described under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095. It involves the act of soliciting or requesting another individual to participate in sexual conduct, knowing that such actions are likely to provoke affront or alarm. This offense is classified as a class C misdemeanor and carries a penalty of up to 15 days of incarceration and a fine not exceeding $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This stands as the most serious of sexual misconduct violations. According to Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, a person is charged with sexual misconduct involving a child if they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
It is a class E felony for a first-time offender, which carries with it up to 4 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. For a repeat offender, it is a class D felony, the punishment for which is up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There are no mandatory minimum sentencing requirements for any of these charges in Howard County, MO. In addition to jail time, alternative sentencing options may be considered, including probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Additionally, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Howard County, MO, you may be obligated to register as a sex offender. The duration of your registration requirement hinges on factors such as your age and the nature of the offense. Our proficient Howard County, MO lawyers are committed to pursuing charge dismissal or reduction to offenses that do not mandate sex offender registration. Moreover, we can explore the possibility of petitioning for your removal from the registry under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
If you are facing any of the above charges in Howard County, MO, call Combs Law Group right now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online to speak with one of our attorneys about your case.
Your Rights and the Howard County, MO Sexual Misconduct Legal Process
If you’re accused of sexual misconduct in Howard County or anywhere else in Missouri, it is imperative to be aware of your rights, which encompass the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Furthermore, you are entitled to a fair trial in accordance with the Sixth Amendment, due process under the 14th Amendment, and protection from self-incrimination as stipulated in the Fifth Amendment.
Our sexual misconduct defense lawyers in Howard County, MO can help walk you through the intricate and often lengthy legal process, which typical encompasses:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Combs Law Group Howard County, MO sexual misconduct attorney will guide you through each stage, making sure that your rights are upheld and that you get the best possible legal representation and outcome. Give us a call right away at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
How a Howard County, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even allegations of sexual misconduct can be life-altering in Howard County, MO. However, with the right legal representation, you can effectively navigate the legal complexities and strive for a positive resolution. Seeking counsel from a skilled criminal defense attorney in Howard County, MO, particularly one with expertise in sexual misconduct cases, is the most prodent stop to safeguard your rights and construct a robust defense. Our Howard County, MO lawyers will:
- Listen to your side of the story
- Conduct a full investigation into your case
- Scrutinize the evidence and examine how it was obtained
- Assess the potential violations of your rights
- Examine witness reliability
- Look for inconsistencies in the accuser’s story
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Defend you at trial if we have to, and challenge the jury on whether or not the prosecution has proven your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our skilled legal team makes sure that the citizens of Howard County, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. Along with sexual misconduct defense in Howard County, MO, our lawyers are experienced in numerous types of cases, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Sexual Misconduct Case in Howard County, MO
It is truly unfortunate in our society that if you’re facing allegations of sexual misconduct, many will instantly and automatically judge you to be 100 percent at fault. The Howard County, MO attorneys at Combs Law Group get this unfortunate difficulty, and we fight to limit the impact these charges can have on you, your career, and your family. After all, our entire legal system operates under the premise that people are innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Howard County or any other location within Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense lawyer. Call us right away at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online. Here’s why it is of utmost importance to, at the very least, have a conversation with one of our specialized lawyers in this field:
- Legal Proficiency: Sexual misconduct cases are legally intricate, regardless of the jurisdiction in Howard County or Missouri, and the consequences of a conviction can be severe – either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the aforementioned circumstances. Our tenacious defense attorneys in Howard County, MO have the knowledge and experience to navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Protection of Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group Howard County, MO sexual misconduct attorney will work tirelessly to safeguard your constitutional rights at every stage of the legal proceedings. This encompasses the assurance that any evidence brought forth against you is admissible and that your rights against self-incrimination are respected.
- Constructing a Strong Defense: Our Howard County, MO criminal defense lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, amass pertinent evidence, and build a robust and impermeable defense strategy. It is imperative to keep in mind that in any Howard County, MO case, numerous aspects exist to the narrative, and contingent upon the specifics of your scenario, we may cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser or contest the evidence introduced by the prosecution.
- Negotiation Skills: In some situations, your Howard County, MO Combs Law lawyer possesses the adeptness to engage in negotiations aimed at securing a plea arrangement that mitigates the charges or penalties you are confronted with, and in some instances, even leading to complete dismissal of the case. We always leave the ultimate decision up to you, but all of our legal advice is based on what we genuinely believe to be in your best interest.
- Litigation Proficiency: If your case goes to trial in Howard County or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct attorney will present your case persuasively, cross-examine witnesses, and steadfastly labor to secure a favorable outcome.
Reach Out to a Howard County, MO Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Right Away | Combs Law Group
Regardless of the nature or severity of the accusations lodged against you in Howard County, MO, Combs Law Group was founded on helping good people caught in bad situations. We believe that you deserve an expert and dedicated professional defense team when you are facing criminal charges in Howard County or anywhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in Howard County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation.