Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Columbia, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Columbia, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Columbia or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense attorney who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we fully comprehend that every scenario has multiple aspects, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial hardships that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Columbia, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Columbia or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own attorney. At Combs Law Group, we know that there is always more than one side of the story and we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sexual misconduct charge in Columbia, MO.
You have no time to waste. Our staff of well-informed sexual misconduct attorneys in Columbia, MO is devoted to safeguarding your rights and aggressively fighting for your future. We have the necessary experience and resources at our disposal to get you the best possible outcome in your case.
Give us a call immediately at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Our Columbia, MO sex crimes attorney can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-strings-attached consultation to speak about the specifics of your case and offer expert legal guidance.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct takes place when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. There are three specific charges that a person accused of sexual misconduct can face in Columbia and elsewhere in Missouri, including:
Sexual Misconduct in the First Degree
According to the provisions outlined in Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, a person may face charges of first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, first-degree sexual misconduct is a class B misdemeanor, which carries with it up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. In the case of a second conviction, it elevates to a class A misdemeanor, which could mean up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
Sexual Misconduct in the Second Degree
Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095, sexual misconduct in the second degree is defined as soliciting or requesting another person to engage in sexual conduct knowing that it is likely to cause affront or alarm. This is a class C misdemeanor, with a punishment of up to 15 days in jail and a fine of no more than $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This is by far the most serious of sexual misconduct offenses. Under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, a person commits sexual misconduct involving a child if they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
For a first offense, it is a class E felony, which can result in a maximum prison sentence of up to 4 years and a fine of up to $10,000. In the case of a repeat offender, it escalates to a class D felony, carrying a potential punishment of up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There is no mandatory minimum sentencing for any of these charges in Columbia, MO. Additional sentencing options may also include probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Also, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Columbia, MO, you will likely be required to register as a sex offender. The length of time you have to remain on the registry will depend on your age and the nature of the crime. We will work hard to dismiss or reduce your charges to ones that don’t require sex offender registry. Moreover, our skilled Columbia, MO lawyers may be able to help petition for your removal under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
If you are facing any of the above charges in Columbia, MO, call Combs Law Group right now at (314) 900-HELP or fill out our online contact form to speak with one of our attorneys about your case.
Your Rights and the Columbia, MO Sexual Misconduct Legal Process
If you find yourself facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Columbia or any other part of Missouri, it is imperative to be aware of your rights, including the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Additionally, you have the right to a fair trial under the Sixth Amendment, due process under the 14th Amendment, and protection against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment.
Our sexual misconduct defense attorneys in Columbia, MO can help walk you through the legal process, which can be especially lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Combs Law Group Columbia, MO sexual misconduct attorney will accompany you through each stage, making sure that your rights are upheld and that you get the best possible legal representation and outcome. Call us right now at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
How a Columbia, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even accusations of sexual misconduct have the potential to drastically impact your life in Columbia, MO. But, with the assistance of proficient legal representation, you can navigate the legal challenges and strive for a positive resolution. Consulting with a skilled Columbia, MO criminal defense lawyer from Combs Law Group, especially one who specializes in sexual misconduct cases, is your best course of action to safeguard your rights and build a strong defense. Our Columbia, MO attorneys will:
- Actively listen to your perspective
- Conduct a full investigation into your case
- Scrutinize the evidence and the methods used to gather it
- Determine if your rights were violated
- Examine witness reliability
- Look for inconsistencies in the accuser’s story
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Provide a resolute defense if necessary, challenging the jury to determine whether the prosecution has substantiated your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our experienced legal team makes sure that the citizens of Columbia, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. In addition to sexual misconduct defense in Columbia, MO, our attorneys are experienced in numerous forms of law, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Columbia, MO Sexual Misconduct Case
Regrettably, it’s a stark reality in our society that when confronted with accusations of sexual misconduct, a considerable number of individuals are inclined to pass swift and definitive judgment, often presuming complete culpability. The Columbia, MO legal professionals at Combs Law Group understand this challenge, and we are committed to mitigating the potential consequences that these allegations may cast upon you, your professional life, and your family. It is important to emphasize that our entire legal system operates on the premise that people accused of a crime are considered innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Columbia or elsewhere throughout Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense lawyer. Call us right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Here’s why it is of utmost importance to, at the very least, have a conversation with one of our specialized attorneys in this field:
- Legal Proficiency: Cases involving sexual misconduct are inherently intricate from a legal standpoint, irrespective of the jurisdiction within Columbia or Missouri. The potential ramifications of a conviction can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, contingent on the aforementioned circumstances. Our determined defense attorneys in Columbia, MO possess the profound legal knowledge and experience necessary to adeptly navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Protection of Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group Columbia, MO sexual misconduct attorney will wholeheartedly champion the preservation of your constitutional rights at every stage of the legal proceedings. This includes ensuring that any evidence obtained against you adheres to admissibility standards and that your entitlement to refrain from self-incrimination is duly upheld.
- Building a Formidable Defense: Our Columbia, MO criminal defense lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, gather evidence, and build a robust and impermeable defense strategy. There is always more than one side of the story, and, depending on the specifics of your Columbia, MO case, we may question the credibility of your accuser or challenge the evidence presented by the prosecutor.
- Negotiation Skills: In certain scenarios, your Columbia, MO Combs Law lawyer may be able to negotiate a plea bargain that reduces the charges or penalties you face, if not lead to a complete dismissal of the case. It is paramount to underscore that the ultimate decision always rests with you; nonetheless, all our legal counsel is grounded in our genuine belief of what serves your best interests.
- Litigation Proficiency: If your case goes to trial in Columbia or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct attorney will articulately present your case, cross-examine witnesses, and work to secure a favorable outcome.
Contact a Columbia, MO Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Today | Combs Law Group
No matter the nature or severity of the allegations against you in Columbia, MO, Combs Law Group was founded on helping good people caught in bad situations. We believe that you deserve an expert and dedicated professional defense team when you are facing criminal charges in Columbia or anywhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in Columbia, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.