Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Carthage, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Carthage, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Carthage or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense lawyer who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we recognize that every situation has multiple aspects, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial hardships that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Carthage, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Carthage or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own attorney. At Combs Law Group, we know that there is always more than one side of the story and we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sexual misconduct charge in Carthage, MO.
Time is of the essence. Our staff of well-informed attorneys specializing in sexual misconduct in Carthage, MO is wholeheartedly devoted to safeguarding your rights and mounting a vigorous defense on your behalf. With our substantial experience and abundant network, we are fully equipped to pursue the most favorable resolution for your case.
Call us immediately at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online. Our Carthage, MO sex crimes lawyer can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-strings-attached consultation to speak about the specifics of your case and offer expert legal guidance.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct occurs when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. Accusations of sexual misconduct in Carthage and throughout Missouri can lead to three distinct charges, which include:
First-Degree Sexual Misconduct
According to the provisions outlined in Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, a person may face charges of first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, first-degree sexual misconduct is a class B misdemeanor, punishable by a potential jail term of up to 6 months and a fine not exceeding $1,000. For a second conviction, it is a class A misdemeanor, which could mean up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
Sexual Misconduct in the Second Degree
Second-degree sexual misconduct is described under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095. It involves the act of soliciting or requesting another individual to participate in sexual conduct, knowing that such actions are likely to provoke affront or alarm. This offense is classified as a class C misdemeanor and carries a penalty of up to 15 days of incarceration and a fine not exceeding $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This is by far the most serious of sexual misconduct offenses. According to Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, a person commits sexual misconduct involving a child if they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
For a first offense, this constitutes a class E felony, which can result in a maximum prison sentence of up to 4 years and a fine of up to $10,000. In the case of a repeat offender, it escalates to a class D felony, carrying a potential punishment of up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There are no mandatory minimum sentencing requirements for any of these charges in Carthage, MO. Along with imprisonment, alternative sentencing options may be considered, including probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Furthermore, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Carthage, MO, you may be required to register as a sex offender. The duration of your registration requirement hinges on factors such as your age and the nature of the offense. Our proficient Carthage, MO attorneys are dedicated to pursuing charge dismissal or reduction to offenses that do not mandate sex offender registration. Moreover, we can explore the possibility of petitioning for your removal from the registry under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
If you are facing any of the above charges in Carthage, MO, call Combs Law Group right now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online to speak with one of our attorneys about your case.
Your Rights and the Sexual Misconduct Legal Process in Carthage, MO
If you’re accused of sexual misconduct in Carthage or any other part of Missouri, it is crucial to understand your rights, including the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Furthermore, you are entitled to a fair trial under the Sixth Amendment, due process under the 14th Amendment, and protection from self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment.
Our sexual misconduct defense lawyers in Carthage, MO can help walk you through the legal process, which can be especially lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Carthage, MO sexual misconduct lawyer from Combs Law Group will guide you through every step, ensuring the protection of your rights and striving for the most advantageous legal representation and result. Give us a call right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
How a Carthage, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even accusations of sexual misconduct have the potential to drastically impact your life in Carthage, MO. But, with the right legal representation, you can navigate the legal challenges and strive for a positive resolution. Seeking counsel from a skilled criminal defense lawyer in Carthage, MO, especially one with expertise in sexual misconduct cases, is the most prodent stop to protect your rights and build a robust defense. Our Carthage, MO lawyers will:
- Listen to your side of the story
- Conduct a full investigation into your case
- Scrutinize the evidence and the methods used to gather it
- Determine if your rights were violated
- Evaluate the reliability of witnesses
- Search for any inconsistencies in the accuser’s account
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Defend you at trial if we have to, and challenge the jury on whether or not the prosecution has proven your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our skilled legal team ensures that the residents of Carthage, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. In addition to sexual misconduct defense in Carthage, MO, our attorneys are experienced in numerous types of cases, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Sexual Misconduct Case in Carthage, MO
Regrettably, it’s a stark reality in our society that when confronted with accusations of sexual misconduct, a considerable number of individuals are inclined to pass swift and definitive judgment, frequently presuming complete culpability. The Carthage, MO legal professionals at Combs Law Group understand this challenge, and we are committed to mitigating the potential consequences that these accusations may cast upon you, your professional life, and your family. It is important to emphasize that our entire legal system operates on the fundamental tenet that people accused of a crime are considered innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Carthage or any other location within Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense lawyer. Call us now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Here’s why it is of utmost importance to, at the very least, have a conversation with one of our specialized lawyers in this field:
- Legal Proficiency: Cases involving sexual misconduct are inherently intricate from a legal standpoint, irrespective of the jurisdiction within Carthage or Missouri. The potential ramifications of a conviction can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, contingent on the aforementioned circumstances. Our determined defense lawyers in Carthage, MO possess the profound legal knowledge and experience necessary to adeptly navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Safeguarding Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group sexual misconduct attorney in Carthage, MO will work tirelessly to safeguard your constitutional rights throughout the legal process. This encompasses the assurance that any evidence obtained against you adheres to admissibility standards and that your entitlement to refrain from self-incrimination is duly upheld.
- Building a Strong Defense: Our Carthage, MO criminal defense lawyer will diligently scrutinize the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, gather evidence, and build a robust and impermeable defense strategy. It is imperative to bear in mind that in any Carthage, MO case, numerous aspects exist to the narrative, and contingent upon the particulars of your scenario, we may cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser or contest the evidence introduced by the prosecution.
- Negotiating Expertise: In some situations, your Carthage, MO Combs Law attorney possesses the adeptness to engage in negotiations aimed at securing a plea arrangement that mitigates the charges or penalties you are confronted with, and in some instances, even leading to complete dismissal of the case. It is paramount to underscore that the ultimate decision always rests with you; nonetheless, all our legal counsel is grounded in our genuine belief of what serves your best interests.
- Trial Advocacy: In the event that your case proceeds to trial in Carthage or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct attorney will articulately present your case, cross-examine witnesses, and steadfastly labor to secure a favorable outcome.
Reach Out to a Carthage, MO Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Now | Combs Law Group
Regardless of the nature or severity of the allegations against you in Carthage, MO, Combs Law Group was founded on helping good people in bad situations. We believe that you deserve an expert and dedicated professional defense team when you are facing criminal charges in Carthage or anywhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in Carthage, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.