Sexual Misconduct Lawyer Buchanan County, MO
Sexual misconduct lawyer in Buchanan County, MO. If you find yourself under arrest or confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct in Buchanan County or any other location within Missouri, the last thing you need is a defense attorney who approaches your case with judgmental attitudes or suspicious glances. At Combs Law Group, we recognize that every scenario has multiple aspects, and we acknowledge the emotional and financial difficulties that accompany facing a sexual misconduct charge in Buchanan County, MOIf you have been arrested or are facing charges for sexual misconduct in Buchanan County or anywhere else in Missouri, the last thing you want is judgment or sideways glances from your own lawyer. At Combs Law Group, we fully understand that there is always more than one side of the story and we recognize the emotional and financial hardship of dealing with a sexual misconduct charge in Buchanan County, MO.
You have no time to waste. Our team of knowledgeable sexual misconduct attorneys in Buchanan County, MO is devoted to protecting your rights and aggressively fighting for your future. We have the necessary experience and resources at our disposal to get you the best possible outcome in your case.
Give us a call as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Our Buchanan County, MO sex crimes attorney can meet with you virtually or in-person for a free, no-obligation case review to discuss the specifics of your case and offer expert legal guidance.
What is Considered Sexual Misconduct Under Missouri Law?
Sexual misconduct occurs when someone exposes themselves in a manner and circumstance that would cause shock, offense, or alarm, or when people have sexual intercourse in public. Allegations of sexual misconduct in Buchanan County and throughout Missouri can lead to three distinct charges, which include:
First-Degree Sexual Misconduct
According to the provisions outlined in Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.093, a person may face charges of first-degree sexual misconduct if they:
- Expose their genitals under circumstances in which they know their conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual contact in the presence of a third person or persons under circumstances where they know that such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm
- Have sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse in a public place in the presence of a third person
For a first offense, sexual misconduct in the first degree is a class B misdemeanor, punishable by a potential jail term of up to 6 months and a fine not exceeding $1,000. For a second conviction, it is a class A misdemeanor, which could mean up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
Sexual Misconduct in the Second Degree
Second-degree sexual misconduct is described under Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.095. It involves the act of soliciting or requesting another person to participate in sexual conduct, knowing that such actions are likely to provoke affront or alarm. This offense is classified as a class C misdemeanor and carries a penalty of up to 15 days of incarceration and a fine not exceeding $500.
Sexual Misconduct Involving a Child
This stands as the most serious of sexual misconduct offenses. According to Missouri Revised Statutes § 566.083, a person is charged with sexual misconduct involving a child if they:
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age under circumstances in which they know that the conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the child
- Knowingly expose their genitals to a child less than 15 years of age for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child less than 15 years of age to expose the child’s genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
- Knowingly coerce or induce a child who they know to be less than 15 years of age to expose the breasts of a female child through the Internet or other electronic means for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of anyone, including the child
It is a class E felony for a first-time offender, which carries with it up to 4 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. For a repeat offender, it is a class D felony, the punishment for which is up to 7 years in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
There is no mandatory minimum sentencing for any of these charges in Buchanan County, MO. Additional sentencing options may also include probation, mandatory counseling, and restitution to the victim. Also, if you are convicted of a sex crime in Buchanan County, MO, you will likely be required to register as a sex offender. The length of time you have to remain on the registry will depend on your age and the nature of the crime. We will work hard to dismiss or reduce your charges to ones that don’t require sex offender registry. Additionally, our skilled Buchanan County, MO lawyers may be able to help petition for your removal under Missouri Revised Statutes § 589.041.
Give Combs Law Group a call right away if you are facing any of the above allegations in Buchanan County, MO or fill out our online contact form to talk to one of our lawyers about your case.
Your Rights and the Sexual Misconduct Legal Process in Buchanan County, MO
If you find yourself facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Buchanan County or anywhere else in Missouri, it is imperative to be aware of your rights, including the presumption of innocence, the right to remain silent, and the right to legal counsel. Additionally, you are entitled to a fair trial in accordance with the Sixth Amendment, due process under the 14th Amendment, and protection against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment.
Our Buchanan County, MO sexual misconduct defense lawyers are here to guide you through the legal process, which can be especially lengthy and complex. It typically involves:
- Evidence gathering
- Pre-trial motions
- Possible plea negotiations
- Trial, if necessary
Your Buchanan County, MO sexual misconduct lawyer from Combs Law Group will guide you through every step, ensuring the protection of your rights and striving for the most advantageous legal representation and result. Give us a call right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
How a Buchanan County, MO Sexual Misconduct Attorney From Combs Law Group Can Help
Even accusations of sexual misconduct can be life-altering in Buchanan County, MO. However, with the right legal representation, you can effectively navigate the legal complexities and strive for a positive resolution. Seeking counsel from a skilled criminal defense lawyer in Buchanan County, MO, especially one with expertise in sexual misconduct cases, is the most prodent stop to safeguard your rights and construct a robust defense. Our Buchanan County, MO lawyers will:
- Listen to your side of the story
- Conduct a full investigation into your case
- Scrutinize the evidence and the methods used to gather it
- Determine if your rights were violated
- Evaluate the reliability of witnesses
- Look for inconsistencies in the accuser’s story
- Engage in negotiations with prosecutors, seeking to secure change reduction or dismissal
- Provide a resolute defense if necessary, challenging the jury to determine whether the prosecution has substantiated your charges beyond a reasonable doubt
Our experienced legal team ensures that the residents of Buchanan County, MO receive fair, effective legal presentation in any situation. Along with sexual misconduct defense in Buchanan County, MO, our lawyers are experienced in numerous types of cases, including:
The Importance of Legal Representation in a Buchanan County, MO Sexual Misconduct Case
It is truly unfortunate in our society that if you are facing allegations of sexual misconduct, many will instantly and automatically judge you to be entirely at fault. The Buchanan County, MO lawyers at Combs Law Group get it, and we fight to limit the impact these allegations can have on you, your career, and your family. After all, our entire legal system operates under the principle that people are innocent until proven guilty.
When facing allegations of sexual misconduct in Buchanan County or elsewhere throughout Missouri, it is imperative to seek guidance from a seasoned criminal defense attorney. Give us a call today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online. Here’s why it is of utmost importance to, at the very least, have a conversation with one of our specialized attorneys in this field:
- Legal Expertise: Cases involving sexual misconduct are inherently complex from a legal standpoint, irrespective of the jurisdiction within Buchanan County or Missouri. The potential ramifications of a conviction can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, contingent on the aforementioned circumstances. Our determined defense attorneys in Buchanan County, MO possess the profound legal knowledge and experience necessary to adeptly navigate the intricacies of the legal system.
- Safeguarding Your Rights: Your Combs Law Group Buchanan County, MO sexual misconduct attorney will work tirelessly to safeguard your constitutional rights at every stage of the legal proceedings. This includes ensuring that any evidence brought forth against you is admissible and that your rights against self-incrimination are respected.
- Constructing a Strong Defense: Our Buchanan County, MO criminal defense lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations against you, gather evidence, and build a robust and impermeable defense strategy. It is imperative to bear in mind that in any Buchanan County, MO case, numerous facets exist to the narrative, and contingent upon the specifics of your situation, we may cast doubt on the credibility of the accuser or contest the evidence introduced by the prosecution.
- Negotiating Expertise: In certain scenarios, your Buchanan County, MO Combs Law lawyer may be able to negotiate a plea bargain that reduces the charges or penalties you face, if not lead to a complete dismissal of the case. We always leave the ultimate decision up to you, but all of our legal advice is based on what we genuinely believe to be in your best interest.
- Litigation Proficiency: In the event that your case proceeds to trial in Buchanan County or anywhere in Missouri, our sexual misconduct lawyer will present your case persuasively, cross-examine witnesses, and steadfastly labor to secure a favorable outcome.
Contact a Sexual Misconduct Lawyer in Buchanan County, MO Now | Combs Law Group
Irrespective of the character or gravity of the accusations lodged against you in Buchanan County, MO, Combs Law Group was established with the mission of providing support to good individuals entangled in bad situations. We firmly believe that you are entitled to a proficient and unwavering defense team as you confront criminal charges, be it in Buchanan County or elsewhere in Missouri.
Call a Combs Law Group sexual misconduct defense attorney in Buchanan County, MO right now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free case review.