Sex Crimes Attorney in Wright City, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Wright City, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes lawyers in Wright City, MO can help you. Get in touch with our professional team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the support of a knowledgeable and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes criminal defense attorneys explore the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Wright City, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are seen as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Wright City, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Wright City, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Wright City, MO, you receive essential and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, question witnesses, and gather evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and assist you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this ruin the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Wright City, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the knowledge, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You