Sex Crimes Attorney in West Plains, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in West Plains, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in West Plains, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our professional team for a complimentary case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You need the assistance of a knowledgeable and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with serious consequences, including prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense lawyers outline the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, gravity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in West Plains, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted sexual contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in West Plains, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in West Plains, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in West Plains, MO, you get crucial and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, question witnesses, and gather evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this wreck the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in West Plains, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the know-how, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You