Sex Crimes Attorney in Warrenton, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Warrenton, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes lawyers in Warrenton, MO can support you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the aid of a knowledgeable and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, including prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes defense lawyers explore the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, gravity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Warrenton, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Warrenton, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to serious consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Warrenton, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Warrenton, MO, you receive essential and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and gather evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and help you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Warrenton, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the know-how, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You