Sex Crimes Attorney in Warrensburg, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Warrensburg, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes attorneys in Warrensburg, MO can help you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free review of your case online through our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the assistance of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with significant consequences, which can include jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense lawyers discuss the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, gravity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Warrensburg, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted sexual contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are seen as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Warrensburg, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can affect your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Warrensburg, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Warrensburg, MO, you get essential and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, question witnesses, and collect evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this wreck the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Warrensburg, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, proficiency, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You