Sex Crimes Attorney in Union, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Union, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes attorneys in Union, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our professional team for a free review of your case online through our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You need the aid of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant consequences, including prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our experienced sex crimes criminal defense attorneys outline the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Union, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Union, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to serious consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Union, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Union, MO, you enjoy essential and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, question witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and help you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Union, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you manage this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You