Sex Crimes Attorney in Troy, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Troy, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes lawyers in Troy, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have legal rights. You need the assistance of a knowledgeable and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant consequences, which can include prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense attorneys explore the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, gravity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Troy, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a penal sentence ranging from a five-year jail stint to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any unwanted physical contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Troy, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Troy, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Troy, MO, you receive crucial and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and compile evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and assist you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this devastate your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Troy, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the grave nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you manage this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the know-how, proficiency, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You