Sex Crimes Attorney in Ste. Genevieve, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes attorneys in Ste. Genevieve, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have constitutional rights. You require the aid of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant ramifications, which can include jail or prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our seasoned sex crimes defense attorneys discuss the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, gravity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Ste. Genevieve, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Ste. Genevieve, MO, you get vital and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and compile evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this ruin the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the know-how, experience, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You