Sex Crimes Attorney in St. Joseph, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in St. Joseph, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in St. Joseph, MO can support you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the assistance of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including jail or prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our experienced sex crimes defense lawyers explore the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, gravity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in St. Joseph, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from a five-year jail stint to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are treated as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material involving children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in St. Joseph, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with severe consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in St. Joseph, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in St. Joseph, MO, you get essential and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in St. Joseph, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the serious nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You