Ask us about our affordable payment options.
St. Francois County, MO
The charges against you may be serious, but all hope is not lost. Protect your future with the representation of a sex crimes attorney from Combs Law Group.
Sex Crimes Attorney in St. Francois County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in St. Francois County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes lawyers in St. Francois County, MO can help you. Get in touch with our professional team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You need the aid of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with serious consequences, including a prison sentence, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense attorneys explore the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in St. Francois County, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence ranging from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted physical contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in St. Francois County, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can affect your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in St. Francois County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in St. Francois County, MO, you get vital and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and compile evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in St. Francois County, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you manage this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the expertise, proficiency, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.