Sex Crimes Attorney in Sedalia, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Sedalia, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Sedalia, MO can help you. Get in touch with our expert team for a complimentary case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the support of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes carry serious ramifications, which can include a prison sentence, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes defense lawyers outline the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Sedalia, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted sexual contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Sedalia, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Sedalia, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Sedalia, MO, you get essential and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and gather evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this devastate the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Sedalia, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the knowledge, experience, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to assisting you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You