Sex Crimes Attorney in Saline County, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Saline County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes lawyers in Saline County, MO can help you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a free case review online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have legal rights. You require the assistance of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with serious ramifications, which can include prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes defense lawyers discuss the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, severity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Saline County, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are treated as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Saline County, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with harsh consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Saline County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Saline County, MO, you enjoy essential and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and gather evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Saline County, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the serious nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the know-how, proficiency, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You