Sex Crimes Attorney in Richmond Heights, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Richmond Heights, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Richmond Heights, MO can support you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a complimentary case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the assistance of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. On this page, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense lawyers discuss the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, gravity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Richmond Heights, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Richmond Heights, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with severe consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Richmond Heights, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Richmond Heights, MO, you enjoy essential and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, question witnesses, and collect evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and help you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this ruin your life. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Richmond Heights, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the expertise, proficiency, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You