Sex Crimes Attorney in Ralls County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Ralls County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Ralls County, MO can support you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review online through our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the aid of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant consequences, which can include imprisonment, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense lawyers discuss the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, gravity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Ralls County, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence ranging from a five-year jail stint to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Ralls County, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Ralls County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Ralls County, MO, you get vital and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, question witnesses, and gather evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this wreck the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Ralls County, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You