Sex Crimes Attorney in Pike County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Pike County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in Pike County, MO can help you. Get in touch with our expert team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have legal rights. You need the support of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, which can include imprisonment, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. Below, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense attorneys outline the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Pike County, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Pike County, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Pike County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Pike County, MO, you receive essential and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and compile evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this wreck your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Pike County, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You