Sex Crimes Attorney in Ozark, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Ozark, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes attorneys in Ozark, MO can support you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a free case review online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have constitutional rights. You require the aid of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with significant ramifications, including jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense attorneys outline the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, gravity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Ozark, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from a five-year jail stint to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Ozark, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Ozark, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Ozark, MO, you get vital and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, question witnesses, and compile evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Ozark, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the knowledge, experience, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You