Sex Crimes Attorney in Newton County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Newton County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes attorneys in Newton County, MO can support you. Get in touch with our professional team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the support of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with significant ramifications, including prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our experienced sex crimes criminal defense attorneys discuss the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, severity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Newton County, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence ranging from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Newton County, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with harsh consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Newton County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Newton County, MO, you get essential and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this wreck your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Newton County, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you manage this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the knowledge, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You