Sex Crimes Attorney in Monroe County, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Monroe County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our experienced sex crimes lawyers in Monroe County, MO can support you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You require the support of a knowledgeable and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including imprisonment, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our experienced sex crimes criminal defense attorneys explore the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, gravity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Monroe County, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are treated as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Monroe County, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to serious consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Monroe County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Monroe County, MO, you get crucial and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this devastate your life. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Monroe County, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the know-how, proficiency, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You