Sex Crimes Attorney in McDonald County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in McDonald County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in McDonald County, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You require the aid of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, including jail or prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our seasoned sex crimes defense attorneys outline the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in McDonald County, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in McDonald County, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with severe consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in McDonald County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in McDonald County, MO, you enjoy crucial and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and collect evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in McDonald County, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the grave nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the knowledge, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You