Sex Crimes Attorney in Lexington, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Lexington, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our experienced sex crimes attorneys in Lexington, MO can support you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a complimentary review of your case online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have legal rights. You require the aid of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with serious consequences, including a prison sentence, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. On this page, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense lawyers explore the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, gravity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Lexington, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any unwanted physical contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a heinous D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Lexington, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Lexington, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Lexington, MO, you receive crucial and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and collect evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and help you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Lexington, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the know-how, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to helping you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You