Sex Crimes Attorney in Henry County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Henry County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes lawyers in Henry County, MO can support you. Get in touch with our professional team for a complimentary case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the support of a knowledgeable and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with serious ramifications, which can include a prison sentence, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. On this page, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense attorneys outline the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Henry County, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any unwanted physical contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Henry County, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with severe consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Henry County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Henry County, MO, you get vital and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and compile evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this ruin your life. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Henry County, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the serious nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the expertise, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You