Sex Crimes Attorney in Harrisonville, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Harrisonville, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes attorneys in Harrisonville, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You require the support of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, including jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes criminal defense attorneys outline the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Harrisonville, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any unwanted sexual contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Harrisonville, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Harrisonville, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Harrisonville, MO, you receive essential and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, question witnesses, and gather evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this ruin the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Harrisonville, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the grave nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the know-how, proficiency, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You