Sex Crimes Attorney in Gentry County, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Gentry County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our team of sex crimes lawyers in Gentry County, MO can help you. Get in touch with our professional team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have constitutional rights. You require the support of a knowledgeable and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with serious consequences, which can include imprisonment, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our seasoned sex crimes defense lawyers discuss the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, severity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Gentry County, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence ranging from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when someone engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Gentry County, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Gentry County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Gentry County, MO, you receive vital and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and compile evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and help you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Gentry County, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, experience, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You