Sex Crimes Attorney in Festus, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Festus, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Festus, MO can support you. Get in touch with our professional team for a free review of your case by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the aid of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense attorneys discuss the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most prevalent sex crime charges in Festus, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Festus, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Festus, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Festus, MO, you enjoy vital and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, question witnesses, and compile evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Festus, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the expertise, proficiency, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You