Ask us about our affordable payment options.
The charges against you may be serious, but all hope is not lost. Protect your future by hiring a sex crimes attorney from Combs Law Group.
Sex Crimes Attorney in Ellisville, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Ellisville, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes attorneys in Ellisville, MO can help you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a free review of your case by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the support of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious ramifications, including prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. On this page, our experienced sex crimes defense attorneys discuss the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of nature, gravity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Ellisville, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Ellisville, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with severe consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly tarnish your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Ellisville, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Ellisville, MO, you enjoy crucial and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, question witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this wreck the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Ellisville, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the grave nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the know-how, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to helping you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.