Sex Crimes Attorney in Des Peres, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Des Peres, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes attorneys in Des Peres, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have legal rights. You need the aid of a knowledgeable and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious ramifications, which can include a prison sentence, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. On this page, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense attorneys discuss the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Des Peres, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from a five-year jail stint to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault describes any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when someone engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Des Peres, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can affect your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Des Peres, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Des Peres, MO, you get vital and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and compile evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this ruin your life. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Des Peres, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the know-how, proficiency, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You