Sex Crimes Attorney in Cooper County, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Cooper County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes lawyers in Cooper County, MO can help you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the support of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, which can include prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>enrollment as a sex offender. Below, our skilled sex crimes defense attorneys discuss the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Cooper County, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are treated as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Cooper County, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are faced with serious consequences that can alter your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it exceedingly difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Cooper County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Cooper County, MO, you get vital and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and assist you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and argue your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this ruin the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in Cooper County, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the know-how, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You