Ask us about our affordable payment options.
The charges against you may be serious, but you have hope in our defense team. Protect your future with the representation of a sex crimes attorney from Combs Law Group.
Sex Crimes Attorney in Clayton, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Clayton, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes attorneys in Clayton, MO can support you. Get in touch with our expert team for a complimentary case review online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have protections under the law. You require the assistance of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant consequences, including jail or prison time, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our seasoned sex crimes defense attorneys outline the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Clayton, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Clayton, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: In accordance with the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Clayton, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Clayton, MO, you get vital and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, question witnesses, and gather evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, respond to your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be intimidating and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this ruin your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Clayton, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you manage this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.