Sex Crimes Attorney in Chariton County, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Chariton County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Chariton County, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our professional team for a complimentary case review by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the aid of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including imprisonment, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our experienced sex crimes defense attorneys discuss the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Chariton County, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual physical contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Chariton County, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extremely difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Chariton County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Chariton County, MO, you get essential and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by diligently to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and assist you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be difficult to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Chariton County, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the expertise, background, and resources needed to deliver you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You