Sex Crimes Attorney in Carthage, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Carthage, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes attorneys in Carthage, MO can support you. Get in touch with our professional team for a free case review by filling out our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the support of a competent and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant consequences, which can include imprisonment, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense lawyers explore the various types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, gravity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Carthage, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Carthage, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be obligated to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Carthage, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Carthage, MO, you get crucial and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, question witnesses, and compile evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be overwhelming and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Do not let this ruin the life you’ve built. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense firm in Carthage, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the serious nature of sex crime charges and the harmful consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the know-how, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are devoted to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You