Sex Crimes Attorney in Callaway County, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Callaway County, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Callaway County, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free review of your case online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the aid of a skilled and seasoned sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes come with serious consequences, which can include jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our skilled sex crimes defense lawyers explore the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Kinds of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, severity, and potential sentences, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Callaway County, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual physical contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when someone has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos involving children under the age of 18. It is a severe D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Callaway County, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can affect your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Callaway County, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Callaway County, MO, you receive essential and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and safeguard, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and compile evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or achieving the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy the life you’ve built. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Callaway County, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the serious nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are devoted to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an inevitably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the expertise, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You