Sex Crimes Attorney in California, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in California, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our experienced sex crimes attorneys in California, MO can help you. Get in touch with our professional team for a free case review online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The consequences are serious, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the aid of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry significant consequences, including jail or prison time, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense attorneys discuss the various categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential consequences of a conviction, and how a capable defense attorney from Combs Law Group can defend you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri span a wide range in terms of substance, severity, and potential sentences, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the California, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any non-consensual sexual contact, including touching. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered incapable of giving informed consent because of their young age. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate penalties for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in California, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to serious consequences that can impact your life for many years. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in California, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in California, MO, you receive vital and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, interrogate witnesses, and gather evidence to build a solid defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can engage in negotiations with the prosecutor to drop the charges, minimize the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can discuss a plea bargain to obtain you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading legal defense firm in California, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have effectively defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to offering our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we realize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the know-how, experience, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You