Sex Crimes Attorney in Benton, MO
If you are facing accusations related to sex crimes in Benton, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our team of sex crimes attorneys in Benton, MO can assist you. Get in touch with our expert team for a complimentary review of your case by filling out our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You require the support of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to defend your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes carry significant ramifications, including imprisonment, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense lawyers explore the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can advocate you when you face a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, ranging from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Benton, Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual activity or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a penal sentence of anywhere from a five-year jail stint to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault refers to any unwanted physical contact, including touching. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor. Children under the age of consent are treated as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of pornographic material depicting children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to individual penalties for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Benton, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can affect your life for many years. Each case is different and is influenced by the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and skill of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can greatly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from forfeiting the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Benton, MO Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs to protect you in your Missouri sex offense case in Benton, MO, you receive essential and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced legal attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and protect, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo look into the charges against you, interview witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will provide you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you comprehend what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you decide not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
This situation does not have to destroy your life. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Benton, Missouri, Combs Law Group recognizes the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the damaging consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of knowledgeable St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the knowledge, proficiency, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to assisting you obtain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You