Ask us about our affordable payment options.
The charges against you may be serious, but all hope is not lost. Protect your future by hiring a sex crimes attorney from Combs Law Group.
Sex Crimes Attorney in Barnhart, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Barnhart, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to discuss how our experienced sex crimes lawyers in Barnhart, MO can help you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team for a complimentary review of your case online through our form or via (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have protections under the law. You need the support of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to safeguard your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant ramifications, which can include a prison sentence, exorbitant fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>sex offender registration. Below, our seasoned sex crimes criminal defense lawyers outline the different categories of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a competent defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you are accused of a sex crime.
Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of substance, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Barnhart, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is described as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault encompasses any non-consensual sexual contact, including groping. It is also a grave felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor. Children under the age of consent are seen as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of obscene images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a heinous felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is less than 15 years of age, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also prohibited in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most egregious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Barnhart, Missouri
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can affect your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what occurred, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Based on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could receive years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to cover significant fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and affect some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Barnhart, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case in Barnhart, MO, you receive essential and thoughtfully considered legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by putting in extensive effort to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and assist you grasp what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can discuss terms with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to sidestep the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can arrange a plea bargain to secure you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this wreck the life you’ve built. With a criminal defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Barnhart, Missouri, Combs Law Group understands the weighty nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our knowledgeable sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended countless clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are dedicated to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for harsh legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we acknowledge the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to assist you traverse this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and defending for your future. We have the know-how, background, and resources needed to offer you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to assisting you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.