Ask us about our affordable payment options.
The charges against you may be serious, but all hope is not lost. Protect your future by hiring a sex crimes attorney from Combs Law Group.
Sex Crimes Attorney in Ashland, MO
If you are facing charges related to sex crimes in Ashland, Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our group of sex crimes lawyers in Ashland, MO can help you. Get in touch with our expert team for a free case review online through our form or by calling (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have constitutional rights. You need the support of a competent and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and represent your case. Sex crimes come with significant ramifications, which can include imprisonment, substantial fines, and mandatory a href=”https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/SOR/factsheet.html” target=”_blank” title=”Missouri sex offender registry fact sheet”>registration as a sex offender. On this page, our skilled sex crimes criminal defense attorneys explore the different types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the potential penalties of a conviction, and how a proficient defense attorney from Combs Law Group can protect you when you face a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri encompass a broad spectrum in terms of nature, severity, and potential punishments, including everything from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Some of the Ashland, Missouri sex crime cases we take on include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or penetration. It is a grave felony offense that carries a prison sentence of anywhere from five years in prison to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any unwanted physical contact, including groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a penal sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: In Missouri, it is considered statutory rape when an individual has a sexual encounter with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are seen as too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 14 can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography is the production, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos depicting children under the age of 18. It is a severe felony offense, up to a class B felony, that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each individual piece of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor is defined in Missouri law as sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing one’s genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a penal sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Sex Crime Conviction in Ashland, Missouri
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to harsh consequences that can alter your life for years to come. Each case has its own details, including the evidence presented, the nature of what happened, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and capability of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the seriousness of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could be subject to years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to settle considerable fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be compelled to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can significantly limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly harm your reputation and impact some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members, and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks, makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in Ashland, MO Can Help You
When you hire Combs Law Group to represent you in your Missouri sex offense case in Ashland, MO, you enjoy vital and meticulously evaluated legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced criminal defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and ensure your rights, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney ooooooo examine the charges against you, interview witnesses, and collect evidence to build a compelling defense.
- Legal advice: We will give you legal advice regarding your case, address your questions and assist you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, lower the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to prevent the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be challenging to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and make your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you opt not to go to trial or obtaining the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this devastate your life. With a sexual offenses defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading law firm in Ashland, Missouri, Combs Law Group comprehends the grave nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our seasoned sex crimes attorneys have skillfully defended many clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to supplying our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an unquestionably life-altering experience, with the potential for serious legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to support you manage this difficult time.
Our team of seasoned St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and championing for your future. We have the knowledge, background, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are determined to helping you attain the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.