If you are facing sex crime charges in Missouri, Combs Law Group is here for you and ready to talk about how our sex crimes attorneys in St. Louis can help. Get in touch with our team for a free review of your case online through our form or on the phone at (314) 900-HELP.
The stakes are high, but you still have rights. You need the help of a skilled and experienced sex crimes attorney in St. Louis to protect your rights and defend your case. Sex crimes carry serious consequences, including prison time, hefty fines, and mandatory registration as a sex offender. Below, our sex crimes defense attorneys explore the types of sex crime charges in Missouri, the consequences of a conviction and what a skilled defense attorney from Combs Law Group can do to protect you when you are accused of committing a sex crime.
Types of Sex Crime Charges in Missouri
Sex crimes in Missouri run the gamut in terms of substance, severity and potential sentences, from sexual assault and rape to child pornography and sexual misconduct with a minor. Some of the most common sex crime charges in Missouri include:
- Rape: Rape is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse or sexual penetration. It is a serious felony offense that carries a prison sentence ranging from five years to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 566.030.
- Sexual assault: Sexual assault involves any unwanted sexual contact, including touching or groping. It is also a serious felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Statutory rape: Statutory rape occurs when an individual engages in sexual activity with a minor who is below the age of consent, as they are considered too young to be capable of giving informed consent. The age of consent in Missouri is 17 years old, and engaging in sexual activity with a minor under the age of 14 as an adult can result in charges of statutory rape in the first degree.
- Child pornography: Child pornography involves the creation, distribution, or possession of sexually explicit images or videos of children under the age of 18. It is a serious D or B felony offense that can result in a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute 573.037, you could be subject to separate sentences for each article of child pornography you are accused of possessing.
- Sexual misconduct with a minor: Sexual misconduct with a minor in Missouri involves sexual contact with a minor who is under the age of 15, including acts such as exposing ones genitals or coercing the minor to expose their genitals or breasts. Other forms of sexual misconduct are also illegal in Missouri, but sexual misconduct with a minor is the most serious offense under Missouri Revised Statute 566.083, often a class D or E felony, and can result in a prison sentence and other consequences.
Consequences of a Missouri Sex Crime Conviction
If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you are subject to severe consequences that can impact your life for years to come. Each case is different and depends on the evidence presented, the nature of what took place, your previous criminal history, the judge presiding over your case, and competence of your defense lawyer and other factors. Though the consequences of any criminal record are many, some of the primary consequences of a sex crime conviction in St. Louis or Missouri include:
- Prison time: Depending on the severity of the offense and Missouri law sentencing guidelines, you could face years or even life in prison.
- Fines: As is the case in many criminal felony and misdemeanor charges, you may have to pay substantial fines and court costs.
- Mandatory registration as a sex offender: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Missouri, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This can severely limit your employment opportunities, housing options, and personal relationships.
- Damage to your reputation: A sex crime conviction will ostensibly damage your reputation and harm some of the relationships in your life, from romantic relationships to friends, colleagues, family members and neighbors.
- Lasting restrictions in your life: The permanent nature of Missouri’s sex offender registry along with the many consequences of a felony conviction, from losing the right to vote and own a firearm to being excluded from jobs, leases, and other opportunities due to background checks makes it extraordinarily difficult to rebuild your life, even after you’ve served your sentence.
How a Sex Crimes Attorney in St. Louis Can Help You
When you hire Chris Combs or Combs Law Group to defend you in your Missouri sex offense case, you get essential and carefully weighed legal guidance and representation throughout your case. An experienced defense attorney in St. Louis can help you by working hard to defend and protect you, including:
- Investigating the charges: Your attorney can investigate the charges against you, interview witnesses, and gather evidence to build a strong defense.
- Legal advice: We will offer you legal advice regarding your case, answer your questions and help you understand what to expect before every step throughout the process.
- Negotiating: In some cases, as your defense attorney we can negotiate with the prosecutor to drop the charges, reduce the charges to lesser crimes, or come to a pre-plea agreement to avoid the downfalls of a conviction.
- Court representation: We’ll be by your side at every court appearance. Standing in front of a judge can be daunting and it can be hard to know what to do. A sex crimes attorney in St. Louis will represent you in court and present your defense to a judge and jury.
- Plea bargains: If you chose not to go to trial or getting the case dismissed is not an option, we can negotiate a plea bargain to land you a lesser sentence than you would otherwise face.
Don’t let this ruin your life. With a sex crimes defense attorney dedicated to your case, you have a chance. As a leading criminal defense law firm in St. Louis Missouri, we understand the serious nature of sex crime charges and the devastating consequences they can have on individuals and their families. Our experienced sex crimes attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients against a variety of sex crime and other criminal charges, and we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation.
St. Louis Sex Crimes Attorney: Protecting Your Rights and Future
Being charged with a sex crime is an undeniably life-altering experience, with the potential for severe legal penalties and an unquantifiable social cost. At Combs Law Group, we recognize the emotional and financial burden of dealing with a sex crime charge, and we are here to help you navigate this difficult time.
Our team of experienced St. Louis sex crimes attorneys is dedicated to protecting your rights and fighting for your future. We have the knowledge, experience, and resources needed to provide you with the best possible legal representation, and we are committed to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. You have no time to waste. Call (314) 900-HELP now.
Sex Crimes Attorney Near You