West Plains, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in West Plains, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in West Plains, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to protect individuals who may be facing risks, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the West Plains, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in West Plains, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in West Plains, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in West Plains, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in West Plains, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your West Plains, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in West Plains, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in West Plains and Missouri order of protection law. As your West Plains, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in West Plains, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in assembling and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will hear the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated West Plains, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you need throughout this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in West Plains, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in grave legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will establish the foundation for a robust defense and assist protect your rights through the West Plains, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s West Plains, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in West Plains, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a range of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in West Plains, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to protecting your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s West Plains, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in West Plains, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in West Plains, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side throughout the legal journey, giving unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us now to talk about your order of protection case in West Plains, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer