Wentzville, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Wentzville, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Wentzville, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to protect individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Wentzville, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Wentzville, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Wentzville, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Wentzville, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Wentzville, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Wentzville, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Wentzville, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the details involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Wentzville and Missouri order of protection law. As your Wentzville, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Wentzville, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Wentzville, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you require amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Wentzville, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to building a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and help protect your rights during the Wentzville, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Wentzville, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Wentzville, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a variety of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Wentzville, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Wentzville, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we vigorously encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step towards safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Wentzville, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Wentzville, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side throughout the legal journey, providing unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Wentzville, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer