Webster County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Webster County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Webster County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to protect individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Webster County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Webster County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Webster County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Webster County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Webster County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Webster County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Webster County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Webster County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Webster County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Webster County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Webster County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you deserve during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Webster County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, reach out to a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will lay the foundation for a solid defense and assist protect your rights during the Webster County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Webster County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Webster County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a spectrum of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Webster County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to defending your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Webster County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the first step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in Webster County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Webster County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, offering steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us today to discuss your order of protection case in Webster County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer