Washington, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Washington, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Washington, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be confronting risks, harassment, or violence from someone else. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Washington, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Washington, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Washington, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Washington, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Washington, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Washington, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Washington, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Washington and Missouri order of protection law. As your Washington, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Washington, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will hear the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Washington, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the support and advocacy you need amidst this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Washington, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a qualified attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will set the foundation for a robust defense and assist defend your rights during the Washington, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Washington, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Washington, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the imposed restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Washington, MO and is focused on minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Washington, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step towards safeguarding your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Washington, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Washington, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, providing steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not wait to contact us today to talk about your order of protection case in Washington, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer