Washington County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Washington County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Washington County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be facing dangers, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Washington County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Washington County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Washington County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Washington County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Washington County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Washington County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Washington County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Washington County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Washington County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Washington County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Washington County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the help and advocacy you deserve amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Washington County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in grave legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This log can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will lay the foundation for a strong defense and aid safeguard your rights through the Washington County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Washington County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Washington County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Washington County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Washington County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, express your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step in the direction of securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Washington County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Washington County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, giving resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not delay to contact us now to go over your order of protection case in Washington County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer