Warren County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Warren County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Warren County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be confronting risks, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Warren County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Warren County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Warren County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Warren County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Warren County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Warren County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Warren County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is proficient in Warren County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Warren County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Warren County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Warren County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the support and advocacy you deserve throughout this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Warren County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, reach out to a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will establish the foundation for a solid defense and help protect your rights throughout the Warren County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Warren County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Warren County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Warren County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Warren County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the first step towards safeguarding your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Warren County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Warren County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you throughout the legal journey, giving steadfast support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us today to talk about your order of protection case in Warren County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer