Union, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in Union, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Union, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to safeguard people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Union, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Union, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Union, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Union, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Union, MO can be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Union, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Union, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is proficient in Union and Missouri order of protection law. As your Union, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Union, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Union, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you deserve during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Union, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This documentation can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all applicable information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and aid safeguard your rights through the Union, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that offered by Combs Law’s Union, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Union, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a variety of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Union, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Union, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are dealing with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we vigorously urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of securing your defense in an order of protection case in Union, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Union, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, giving unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now to discuss your order of protection case in Union, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer